Sunday, July 15, 2012

a time for everything...

The street was loud last night, with so many vibrating car stereos and the drunken disputes on the sidewalks, the sirens and barking dogs, I used to tune all this out when I lived down here, but now the floor below is empty, and the dog I watch is old, and the sense of vulnerability is strong, the nightmares are incoherent manifestations of the week's anxieties and I can't tell if I've slept deep or not at all, but waking up drained, drinking coffee in the pew trying to make sense of everything, unable to sing because these words on my lips would not be true, trying to remember that I've come through more crazy things just fine, and I'll be ok here too, that the emotions are not necessarily the truth.

The ennui hits every summer, with the heat sapping the strength, the lack of sleep, watching another set of friends pair off in wedlock every couple weeks, housesitting while everyone else gets out of town and goes on vacation somewhere else, and having way much time to get existential about the realities of living in a dying city, where everyone leaves, gets hitched, get stupid, or is just too poor to get adventurous. There are the occasional interludes of bliss, but they come few and far between, and seem to be fewer by the year...




5 comments:

  1. High standards have a price. But just remember, 'tis seasonal. Fewer brainwaves wasted on the blahs when you're scraping ice off your car at 7am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. leave it to you to be optimistic for a change! But yeah, once it gets cold, I'm back to being super-introverted and everything's fine with the world again.

      Delete
    2. You know my optimism is always false. I was just trying to be nice.

      Delete
  2. at risk of repeating myself a professional degree of some kind might give you a bit more of a safety cushion, not a cure in these tough times but having spent decades at various kinds of labor I can tell you it does offer some relief and some options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://onpoint.wbur.org/2012/07/16/monet

    ReplyDelete